1. We had 3 members attend the AFS National meeting in St. Paul this August. They all had a great time. Cliff Hutt updated us on increasing undergraduate meeting support. Don't forget the 2013 meeting is in Little Rock!
2. The 2011-2012 budget was fairly stable, our accounts are in good standing.
3. Tyler Stubbs, MSU alum, MDWFP fisheries biologist, informed us of potential sampling and habitat improvement activities in Columbus to replace Oktibbeha Lake work.
4. We will be keeping track of member involvement this year - earn participation points at all subunit events. These points will go to a most active member award at the end of the year, and will grant priority for financial support to meetings.
5. We opened nominations for activities chair and undergraduate rep. If you would like to take either of these positions - please email firstname.lastname@example.org before the next meeting, October 2nd.
6. Dan Goetz, VP is organizing our fall boat repair workshop with Columbus Boat Gallery.
7. We will hold a fly tying workshop with Ray Iglay prior to our October meeting. If there is a lot of interest, we can use AFS made flies as a fundraising opportunity.
8. CATFISH SEINE. This is one of our most important fall events. We need as many volunteers as possible on September 14th to seine and clean all the fish. We will then use the fish for the WFA picnic on November 2nd - where we will need 3-5 people to help prepare the fried catfish.
9. Fishing tournament - We talked at the meeting about having it October 20th, but have since learned there is already a tournament that day. Fishing tournament has been postponed until spring.
10. Potential Halloween bakesale. Corrin Flora is our lead baker, more info at the October meeting.
11. Don't forget about our fundraising snack fridge in the grad offices if you need a soda or quick snack.
12. We are organizing a fall (day) trip to the Buttahatchie River Stabilization project in Lowndes county.
13.We will hold our first Aquatic paper discussion group and potluck on Saturday, September 29th at 6:00pm. Location and paper TBD.
14. Calling all artists - we are looking for a logo to put on travel mugs for our year apparel/swag purchase. We will vote on logo/mug designs at an upcoming meeting. Important!!! We need an estimate of how many people would be interested in purchasing a travel mug. We are going to keep the cost at $5!!!
15. If you are interested in writing articles for the student newspaper, or organizing a column in the Starkville daily, please email email@example.com. Additionally, if you want to help out with science club on Tuesdays from 3-5:30 email us or get with Jessica Tegt. There are 4 aquatic days that we can really help out with!
Sept 25 - Water resources
Oct 2- Water quality
Oct 30 - Ichthyology
Nov 6 - Marine ecology
16. STREAM CLEANUP. September 29th - TH 11am
17. We would like to establish an AFS/ CFR club tailgate. If you can help, or want to be a part of this in any way - please get in touch!
Don't forget to join our facebook!
We are going to have a very busy year - but I hope it will be productive and provide many great opportunities to all our members!